Monday 3 September 2012

101 Places Not to Visit

I saw a book called "101 Places Not to Visit" in the op shop, and even though it was slightly out-of-date, I couldn't resist, after checking to confirm that Ulaanbaatar is on the list.

But when I got home, I was a little disappointed.  Yes, it has a few good lines, but at the end of the day, most of it isn't really funny (which I would have hoped), and factually it's all pretty superficial (not that I expected much).

I smiled at the entry on Paris, however.  It states that one reason not to visit Paris is that the city is full to the brim with two things that are on most tourists' list of things to avoid:  other tourists and Parisians.
Ulaanbaatar boring? Well, now that you mention it ....!





For the record, one of the comments about Ulaanbataar is that it is said the chief activity of tourists  is heading to Sukhbaatar Square at the city's alleged centre to organise a trip into the Gobi Desert, the only place on earth with even more nothing in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment