Friday 26 July 2013

Australian stamps

I've previously mentioned that I'm in the course of selling my father's stamp collection.  The process is on-going, and for the time being I'm holding on to some parts of it, in the optimistic hope that, if I sort it out a little, I might get a slightly better return.

One part that I've retained is a lot of post-decimal currency (that is, after 1966) Australian stamps.   These are unused, and in good condition.  My Dad obviously bought these up from time to time, perhaps in the expectation that, over time, they would rise in value.    But it seems he wasn't the only person with this idea!   I've been reliably informed that, if most of these stamps were to be sold, we would be lucky to achieve half their face value.  For example, in a current auction catalogue,  one lot containing thousands of stamps is described as "two large folios of mint decimals with values to $2...." [including some particular items].   The face value is given as approximately $1000.   The auction estimate is a mere $450.  
Mis-prints, as above, can be valuable
Yet these stamps remain valid for postage purposes in Australia!    In other words, the best way of realising the value of these stamps is to stick them on to letters (which some people do)!

I'm told that there are particular stamps that are reasonably valuable, and of course, if you wish to buy almost any individual stamp from a dealer, the retail price will be more than the face value - but it's a different story if you're a seller!
.  


No comments:

Post a Comment