Friday 23 August 2013

Jells Park

I was taken walking in Jells Park as part of my training regime, because our travel plans include some walking in Montenegro (for me).   Hence,  A and C have taken me in hand and insisted that I get some practice before I leave.    Last week, I had to climb the “1000 steps” at Ferntree Gully, and this week I was taken to Jells Park.   I hadn’t previously been to either of these locations, which of course are quite different.
Waterbirds

I have since read that the “1000 steps” are actually 745 steps (but it felt like 10,000), and they climb up One Tree Hill through the forest.  On the other hand,  Jells Park is a mixture of open areas and wetlands, including a lake, with some quite dense floodplain vegetation (eucalypts, melalucas and such like).  Sure, there's suburbia on one side, and the Eastlink freeway on the other, but within the park itself, these things feel a long way away. There are numerous waterbirds (in summer, there are even visiting birds from Japan and China, according to the signs) and although it was daytime, we could hear the frogs.

Following our Jells Park walk we went to Madeline’s, for coffee and some nibbles.  This is within the park itself, and is quite stylish, although you can also get takeaways to eat outside.

 

Madeline's


No comments:

Post a Comment