Thursday 7 November 2013

Allergy?

I was in a restaurant with family members when, within a few minutes of eating part of a pizza shared with the table, I suffered some stomach discomfort, and then faintness to the extent that I was verging on unconsciousness.   I was rushed off to the hospital emergency department where with some reluctance on my part (but in hindsight, I suppose correctly) I was hooked up to a variety of wires.  They don't take any risks with "senior males" who present with chest/abdominal issues!    After a less-than-comfortable night (it's hard to sleep when you can't roll around because of the wires), I was released in the morning with the conclusion, "it was probably something you ate" (influenced, I think, by the fact that I eventually threw up in the middle of the night).

I can only conclude that I've got an allergy to goat's milk, and cheese made from it (the only slightly unusual ingredient in the pizza).    My limited research with google shows that while such an allergy is not unheard of in isolation from  allergies to other forms of milk, it has been reported (there again, with the aid of google, virtually every ailment is "heard of").  However, I can't see avoiding this type of food will require me to make big changes to my lifestyle, so no goat's milk cheese from now on.





2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, very mysterious. A new lactic allergy at you time of life? Never eaten Holy Goat? Red Hill Goat? Milawa Goat? French chèvre? If not, a sad omission from your future diet. Have you ruled out an isolated virulent e.coli or clostridium perfringens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because a number of us shared in the pizza, and only I was affected (very quickly and severely), the scenario that any contamination was confined to the portion I ate, although possible, seems unlikely.

    ReplyDelete