Thursday 21 November 2013

Buying a camera

I have had my current camera for a few years, and it has served me well.  I know that my photos aren't always great, but that's probably due more to my lack of skills than to the camera.  Also, for the record, some of my photos are taken using my phone, which isn't great but I don't always have a camera with me when I need it.

There have been significant developments in camera technology since I acquired my present camera, and you certainly get "more bang for your buck" now.  Just the same, I have stuck with my present camera because I have become reasonably familiar with its controls, and have been able to utilise its various features.

However, it has also meant that I have become aware of its limitations, and with that in mind, I have been intermittently researching what's now available. There's an enormous range of cameras available, at least on the internet. It's very important to know what features you need.  For me, while the quality of the image is obviously an important factor, other considerations included the amount of zoom, the ability to control the aperture and exposure settings manually if desired and the size/weight

But just because a particular model is reviewed and available on-line doesn't mean that the stores stock it.   With the exception of the speciality shops (at least to some extent), the range available in each category in the stores is nearly as great as might be assumed.  It's not a lot of use looking at the reviews and setting your heart on a particular camera if it's only available on the internet (not my preferred method of purchasing).

So, when after several months of casually watching what was happening in the market and reading numerous reviews, one of the cameras that was in fact on my short list (offering a reasonable balance of the features I had in mind) was promoted by a well-known retailer at a good price, plus the distributor had a "cash-back" offer,   I made the decision to "go for it".   Result, a new camera that I now have to get used to, and a wait - potentially 60 days! - for the "cash back" offer to materialise (this is deserving of a post in itself).

No comments:

Post a Comment