Wednesday 27 November 2013

The "Cash Back" offer

I've already mentioned that I recently bought a new camera.    I'd been monitoring the prices of cameras on my short list, but my final choice was influenced by the fact that there was a "cash back" offer on one of the models on my list.    I've always been sceptical about these "offers", and my experience on this occasion just reinforces that. They're hard work!

The first issue was that it turned out that the one and only way of claiming the "cashback" was on-line.  The only information the retailer gave me was, "you claim the cash back on the Canon website".  Yeah, right, but the website didn't give a link to the relevant location.  The search tool didn't help, because I didn't use the magic word "promotions" - was I supposed to have thought of this?

I rang the Canon support line, but, no, they couldn't help, I had to speak to the "Promotions" support line and they had closed for the day before the time of my call.  The issue was finally resolved by a call to the shop where I'd bought the camera, who after some minutes and a drop-out on the line, pointed me in the right direction (that is, use the magic password, "promotions").

Secondly, the claim on the website had to be accompanied by a scanned copy of my purchase receipt.   Fortunately, the sales person did know about this and although he didn't actually volunteer the information, it came out in response to my questioning.   He was also good enough to scan the receipt for me and to email it to me (saved me from what would otherwise have been a bit of a hassle).

Thirdly, the claim form asked for some personal details that I wasn't really happy about giving, but unless the fields were all complete, it couldn't be submitted.  The lure of $50 persuaded me to waive my principles!

Fourthly, it's going to take "up to 60 days" for my money to be direct credited to a bank account, and would have taken "up to 90 days" if I had requested a cheque.   So, don't even think of applying if you're not an Australian resident (in particular, there's no facility to have the amount credited to a credit card).

In short, "cashbacks" are obviously a marketing tool.  I've read that the promoters assume that a significant percentage of  those eligible won't persevere with the application, and my experience certainly confirms that a less determined person could well be deterred form doing so.

I can report that I subsequently received an acknowledgement within a few days that my claim had been "approved"....along with the information that it may take 30 days before I see the money.  At least this is down from 60!

1 comment:

  1. Don't hold your breath waiting for the money to arrive!

    I've had similar problems with a Bosch cash back offer. Comments on the Whirlpool forum suggest that your experience is par for the course:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1890659

    ReplyDelete