Saturday 18 January 2014

Wilting agapanthus

Obviously we all felt the effects of the hot weather in Melbourne over the past few days.   The usual issues arose, such as fires, air-conditioning units on trains failing (but so long as the fans still work, isn't it better to run a train that's not cooled rather than no train at all?), fears of power outages....and so on.

[Edit - updated image]
I was scheduled to attend a meeting in the city late one morning during the hot spell, but it was cancelled due to the heat.    Initially I thought this was a bit of an over-reaction, as the temperature mid-morning, when I would have been travelling in to the city, wasn't too extreme.  But by mid-day, things had heated up, so I decided the decision was probably for the best, after all.

Instead, I walked up to the local library.   It was full!    Clearly, the locals were taking full advantage of the  air-conditioned atmosphere!  I heard that the local shopping centre was also quite busy!

Stressed street tree - doesn't look good!





There's been a bit of an effect on some of the younger street trees, but hopefully most will recover (EDIT - although some, such as those in the image, look to be in a bad way).  Even the agapanthus in the street - not my favourite plant  - are showing signs of heat stress.  No doubt they'll survive.


No comments:

Post a Comment